26 March 2011

My Ode To Hip Hop

So I'm sitting here with the beaming sun coming through the window.

Well.. I say beaming.. but we are in England.

But ANYWAYS! It's my weekly does of Kardashians and I'm watching

Kim & Kourtney take New York.

GOD I MISS IT SO MUCH.

- NY That is -

100% the best week of my life ever..

But it got me thinking about that lifestyle;


HIP HOP.

Ever since I was tiny I have been exposed to music, Hip Hop mainly.

Sometimes even banned from listening to songs because I was too young.

NWA - when i was like 5 maybe wasn't the best thing for me to be singing in school. But then again I was straight up GANGSTAAAA!

I was just enveloped in music, in HIP HOP.



Hip Hop is not only a type of music, but a culture and way of life.

Hip Hop is an album cover, to a pair of trainers. Hip Hop is a way of dressing and talking.

You cannot porttray Hip Hop thorugh just photographs or a magazine interview, you can't show Hip Hop through any type of media. You have to live Hip Hop.

Hip Hop vibes everywhere.

It allows you to feel free, it allows you to be the headliner at Madison Sq. Gardens and the hood celebrity stunting on the corner, all at the same time. Hip Hop allows you to have all of the riches in the world but have no money in your pocket.

Hip Hop isn't just about what sells of what flops, not about how many mixtapes you drop or trainrs you got. Hip Hop is graffitti on the street and the way you hold yourself and the way you talk and dress and live. Hip Hop is not something written on paper then put to a track. Hip Hop is drawn from the soul, something that is organic and real. Hip Hop is the soul and streets of all music. Hip Hop is in touch with the curb and yet Hip Hop can buy you a Bentley. Hip Hop is everything and Hip Hop is me.







I am Hip Hop.







This is why people like Cher Lloyd have no place in Hip Hop. She sang a hip hop song (just about) and now is in the studio with Lil wayne? This is what is wrong with Modern day Hip Hop. You can't just sing a song and then you are Hip Hop.

Hip Hop isn't treated like it should be anymore. It is taken for granted.

It used to be a club that you could feel part of because it brought something new everytime and now that club is being exploited by people wanting fame and money. Hip Hop is not just loving a few Hip Hop songs, you have to BE Hip Hop.. therefore the reason people like cher lloyd cannot be Hip Hop, hip hop is a culture and a lifestyle. You can't just sing a song someone else has written over a beat someone else has produced. Thats not hip hop. You have to be able to create hip hop.

And I dont mean just music. I mean you have to bring hip hop to everything you do. Your swag your voice your music .. your life. You have to be hip hop not portray it.

Hip Hop needs to go back to the days of J Dilla, Nate Dogg and The Fugee's. Having rap battles in the bronx in b ball courts, with a guy with a big ass chain that he saved most of his wage for. To a someone that has mad talent making beats but hasn't got a studio, he's only got his mouth. And a guy that doesn't write lyrics on his Blackberry but sits with a pad and a pen writing lines that rhyme. Hip Hop needs to be a word used not so loosely but to be held high and honoured. Bring Hip Hop back.







No comments: